Saturday, April 17, 2010

Oh what a year it has been

My first year of teaching is almost over and I have not written down the first story! I have told some people a few of them, but I need them on paper so I can look back on them. Blogging seems the most logical way to correct this mistake.

So I will start from the beginning. The job search.

I moved to Memphis in May. Ashley (bff) got us this awesome house in Memphis, and since we were big girls now we had to look for a job in order to pay rent for this awesome house. I had put in applications all over Memphis, called, went by, sent postcards.. all of the above to get my name out there.
First interview came in June.
Lady from Holly Springs called for me to come in to interview for a 5th grade math position. PERFECT I thought! So I went to the interview on a Wednesday, it went reallyreally great. ok next day rolls around... lady from Fayette County calls for me to come to interview on Friday for a high school algebra position. ok cool. I like options. ok next day rolls around (Thursday) Holly Springs calls and offers me the job! I semi freak out and ask if I can let her know after this other interview I had. She says no, that she needs to know before tomorrow, so I told her that I would call her back that afternoon to let her know. So I think... ok.. in this economy.. ya don't turn down a job, so I called back to accept the position, but I had to leave a message about it. Lady was already gone for the day but the secretary said she would tell her.
At this point, I had just accepted my very first teaching position! Something I had been dreaming about for years! You would think I would be excited... but no. not at all.. very uneasy and weird about it. super weird. I was very confused why I felt that way.
ok Friday morning rolls around. I had accepted another job, but I still had this interview appointment. Didn't know what to do, so I called a good friend for him to make my decision. (I am not too good with quick decisions, but thats beside the point) He said go, what harm would it cause? So I went... interview went WONDERFUL. I was soooo happy there and while in the interview I was thinking.. what have I done? This is going to be a big mess!

So here is the part in the story where I have to say that God makes things happen and we are just here for his glory and thats just it.

I get back in my car after this great interview and I have a voice mail... *86... "Hi Rachel, this is Holly Springs Intermediate School and I just wanted to let you know that we have given the 5th grade position to someone else."
WOW. seriously?

An hour later, Fayette calls to offer me the high school job. ACCEPT.

So thats how I got where I am. Jesus's plans. Definitely not mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment