One of the most memorable days has been Boycott Friday. sometime in December I think..
So here is what happened..
on Wednesday I hear that our superintendent has been fired and his contract had been bought out. That morning our principal calls all students and teachers to the gym to tell us and give us all a speech about keepin' going when the goin' gets tough and we will overcome this struggle and other things like that. On Thursday, as we (my carpool, me, the librarian, the French teacher, and Sewing teacher) pull out of the parking lot, two men with signs stop us and give us a flyer. The flyer was about Boycotting school every Friday until the superintendent is hired back. It said a bunch of other stuff about Civil Rights and overcoming injustice and things like that.
Then Friday. First person to talk to me was a fellow teacher that said "be careful today. do not come out of your room unless you have to. do not say ANYTHING about the superintendent. and if any kids leave your room do NOT stop them" I wasn't nervous or anything though. I have a good relationship with pretty much everyone, so I wasn't worried. My homeroom was pretty talkative that morning, but nothing to much out of the ordinary. 1st class comes in and I had the class set of laptops in my room that day, so we were playing some online math games.
Then 9:00 comes. I hear what seemed like elephants coming down the hallway. My kids all look at each other, then get up.. and walk out! (about 4 stayed behind because they said it was cold outside)
About 500 people were out there. Some people came from the community, but I think most were students and some teachers. They had signs about civil rights and the corr, who is associated with the naacp had come to help with the boycott too.
About an hour goes by and most of them come back into the room. They said they were only going to be back for a little while because the news was coming at 11, so they would have to go back out. One boy walks in my room and yells out "Black power! Kill all the white people!" At this point, I was a little uneasy..but still not scared. I knew this kid wouldn't do anything about what he had just said.
Another teacher told me that she asked one of her students what they were rioting about, and the kid said "I don't know, I am just goin out there because its fun!"
As the day goes on, the kids calm down some, but having those laptops in my room was a hugggeee blessing because there was no way I was going to get any work out of my kids that day.
In conclusion.. no.. the riot did not work. The superintendent is still not back.
Saturday, April 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment