Tuesday, April 20, 2010

what's up with chicken?

My students..particularly the boys talk about chicken a lot.

One day about a week before Easter, we were having a normal lesson, but everyone was unusually quiet and attentive. Chester said "Ms. Brocato we are being really good today. We deserve some candy." So I said.. knowing I was planning on bringing Easter cookies.. "Maybe I will just bring some cookies." Tavious piped in..

"Nawww bring us chicken wings!"

So that was hilarious. But there is more.. The day before we get out for Easter I bring Easter sugar cookies (the Pilsbury ones with the chicks on them). We eat them and have a good ole time that day. Then after we get back.. like 4 days later. Tavious walks in..
"Ms. Brocato give me some more of those cookies. I know you have some. You had a whole bucket full."
me- "um.. Tavious.. those cookies were eaten on Thursday.. they are all gone."
Tavious "Well I know you have some at home so bring me some tomorrow."

Next day rolls around.. and Tavious walks in and sits down.
me- "Tavious, are you going to get started on your work?"
T- "i KNOW you have some cookies over there in your desk.

Next day he doesn't say anything else about it.. but that night Kyle and I make some cookies after dinner and there are 2 left, so I laughed to myself and wrapped them up.

Next day rolls around.. and as the bell rings I motion for him to come to my desk as everyone is leaving class. I hand him the wrapped up cookies and tell him not to tell anyone.

People. I have never in my life seen a happier smile. never. I will NEVER forget that kids face when I handed him those two little sugar cookies.

OK back to the chicken... this was so random.. one day during a lesson. I am up there just teaching away.. and one kid starts a beat.. another kid starts the "ah ah ah ah" another kid chimes in "I want some chicken! What what! some chicken!"

Sometimes you just can't help but laugh.

It is what it is.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, those kids are so lucky to have you in their lives. You say you will never forget that smile. Tavious will never forget those cookies. That meant more to him than just getting to eat cookies!! Keep up the good work. Love you, Mamaw

    ReplyDelete