Tuesday, May 4, 2010

i got em today

so I am pretty laid back. I consider this a good thing, but in the realm of teaching high school.. it is sometimes difficult. If a kids needs to go to the bathroom, or he finished his work really fast and asks to go to the bathroom (which really means he just wants to go walk around and see who else he can talk to in the hall) most of the time I say yes.

So yesterday (Monday) which is 3 weeks until school is out, I wanted to make 3-D shapes out of patterns. All they had to do was color their pattern, cut it out, and fold it together to make a cube, pyramid, or a dodecahedron (yeaa.. bet ya don't know what that is do y?! my kids do!) so thats all they had to do. real laid back day.. any high school kids dream.

well.. they got a little toooo laid back. I got distracted and I turn around and 7 kids are standing up and just hanging out, someone had went to their locker without asking me, and there was some rap song being sung. and one kid had a laptop out playing some game. Everyone was just havin a good ole time.

I am all for fun... but that was just TO MUCH.

the bell rings... and I ponder what just happened (mind you.. they have never been that crazy before..they are crazy... but not THAT crazy)

So today this class comes in and I have a 60 question ACT review test on every desk. I tell them "Alright yall.. we HAVE to have order in this room and we WILL have order. Yesterday was very bad, so today yall get to sit in silence for an hour and a half.. and this test can keep you busy. If you talk.. you are gone."

One kid shouts out "I NEED PAPER!" me- you should already have it, go to the office
another kid "MAN THIS SUCKS" me- go to the office

everyone else... with big eyes.. did not say another word!

and everyone actually did pretty decent on the test.

Its just hard for me to "be mean" with them b/c they get yelled at by everyone else..but today I had to be. I was so fed up with them, and they knew they had messed up. I guess thats why all but about 2 or 3 said "yes mam" as soon as I told them what was going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment