Wednesday, August 11, 2010

We shook on it

I have fun story about a certain kid. Let call him Joe. Joe was in my class last year. Joe is an inclusion student, which means he has some type of learning disability. He is TALL… like.. he almost has to duck to get into the door. DARK skin. He doesn’t smile much, but when he does he has the sweetest smile. I think he is a member of one of the main gangs in Memphis. He doesn’t talk much and he always sat in my smallest desk. He would ask to go to the bathroom almost every day. Many of those times he would not come back. Some days he wouldn’t come to class. I wrote him up 5 times for skipping but this continued. He would not complete any work. Even when I gave him work I knew he could do, he would put his name on it and turn it in.

Surprisingly he did not pass.

Well.. Wednesday got here. New school year. Guess who is on my roll? Joe.

BUT let me just tell you what Joe has been doing.

He has been on time every day. He has sat in the seat I asked him to. He has completed ALL assignments. He even scored better than average on my first test I gave! And one day he even raised his hand to ask if he got a certain answer right! Then asked me to go to the bathroom. I laughed and said “We aren’t starting this again but go ahead and come right back!” GUESS what he did! He came right back!!

I am just flabbergasted. I called him over to me when I saw him in the hallway later on in the day and asked him “If I let you go to the bathroom everyday... will you make an A in my class?”

He smiled a sweet little smile and said yes mam. So we shook on it..

I am so excited to see how this goes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment